I’m excited to introduce a new weekly series to the blog, Links To Look At, where I will share up-to-date travel deals you don’t want to miss, products to make traveling easier, travel apps to download, interesting travel news articles to read, travel guides to pin for later, travel tips I’ve learned, and useful travel resources. Everything and anything, travel! Read more to discover the best of the week.
What I Read
- The 5 Greatest Lessons We’ve Learned From Anthony Bourdain – I’m so heartbroken by the passing of such a legend in the industry, and will continue to watch and re-watch No Reservations and Parts Unknown for years to come. I’m planning to purchase his famed book Kitchen Confidential as well. If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255. You are never alone.
- Why I Travel – I completely related to her reason for traveling. I also think it’s my genuine curiosity that encourages me to travel. Trying new foods, experiencing different cultures and languages, seeing beautiful landscapes and discovering new products/trends is so fascinating to me. There’s always something new, so it never gets old!
- Have you ever eaten alone at a restaurant? I only have a handful of times, mostly in NYC. It’s different than you expect it to be, at least it was for me. Despite appreciating the quiet time, I ended up being friendly with the server, bartender or fellow solo diners next to me to avoid being on my phone the whole time. I think it’s a challenge many solo travelers face and grow from, but I’m not quite there yet!
- Sex & The City Restaurants – I’ve been to 10 of these, some of which I didn’t realize were featured in the show! Looks like I need to have a TV marathon weekend again…
- I’m saving this article of yummy summer treats for my Europe trip!
- If you’re looking to splurge on an escape without going international, check out these beautiful hotels that are reminiscent of Europe.
- I’m excited for this new Miami restaurant to open by such a renowned chef! More the reason I need to take another trip down there.
- All the best places to eat and drink outside between now and September in NYC according to one of my absolute favorite sites.
- I love this list of America’s Favorite Neighborhood Restaurants. “These are the spots we return to again and again, the places that make no claim to be the “newest” or the “trendiest,” and that’s precisely why we love them.” I was so excited to see one of my favorite Orlando restaurants on there!
Bucket List Destination Travel Guides
- The Amalfi Coast of Italy has become a huge tourist destination for 2018. I think this 7-day guide is really helpful if you want to get away from some of the crowds. This also highlights the best local beaches.
- Another very popular destination for 2018 is Lisbon. I wanted to work Spain & Portugal into my Europe trip so badly, but it was too much. I hope to visit maybe next spring! If you are planning to go soon, I loved this guide.
- If this vlog from one of my favorite YouTubers doesn’t convince you to travel to Tulum, I’m not sure what will. It looks incredible!
Packing & Products To Buy
- The Ultimate Travel Beauty Bag you really need. Can you believe the value?! I love these sets!
- I’m always a little weary of proper sanitation while packing my toothbrush for travel. For the past few years I’ve used Steripods, but I really want this new toothbrush that’s sleek and comes with a hygienic travel case.
- I totally appreciate how thorough this summer packing post is! I plan to put together something similar for my trip, as I will only be bringing a carry-on for 22 days around Europe (eeek!)
- There have been so many flight sales recently. I love being subscribed to this newsletter, this one and this one so I don’t miss them. I’ll be sure to share any specifics I see within the series.
- UPDATE: Southwest Flash Sale Ends 6/14! Details here.
- UPDATE: If you are a Delta SkyMiles member, check out their flash sale for flights to Alaska or Canada – Montreal is an included destination!
What I Learned – Airbnb Edition
- Did you know that Airbnb charges you as soon as you book your visit, while hotels won’t charge your credit card until you’ve already stayed? Details here.
- If you’re traveling to Europe in September like I am, I recommend booking your accommodations very soon. The best places are going quick! Trust me, I missed out on a great place from waiting too long.
- If you’re looking at Airbnbs in London and are worried because there haven’t been any reviews in 2018, this might be why.
- The last Airbnb story is a bit scary to think about, and unfortunately not handled as well as it should have been. That said, I do agree that you should be skeptical of listings with little to no reviews, unless they are all recent, detailed, and 5-stars.
In Case You Missed It
- Six Restaurants I Will Continue Going Back To in Orlando
- Things To Know Before You Go To Seattle
- A Local’s Guide to Nolita & Bowery, NYC
I hope you all enjoyed Volume 1 of my new Links To Look At series! If you read, find or discover something interesting, share it in the comments below. I’d love to see it!