In case you missed it, I moved to Orlando and started a new job last week! I’ve been traveling back and forth between Palm Beach and Orlando nearly every month for two years, so it should come as no surprise that I landed here for my next chapter. During this transition period, I’ve been scouring the internet for all things Orlando – new openings, places coming soon, what’s still on my wishlist, and more. In honor of this exciting time, this edition of Links To Look At is dedicated to all things Orlando!
What I’ve Been Up To in Orlando
Since moving to Orlando about 10 days ago, these are the places I’ve been to. Check my Instagram & stories @adventuresingourmet for photos and more in-depth reviews!
- King Cajun Crawfish in Mills 50 – it was my first time! Warning: SPICY, MESSY, AND AMAZING
- Pop Thai in Mills 50 – classic Thai menu, perfect for when you just don’t feel like cooking and doing dishes
- Santiago’s Bodega in Mills 50 – enjoyed soup & apps outside on the deck on a cool afternoon
- The Greek Corner in Mills 50 – hit the spot with a classic souvlaki platter (p.s. it’s gigantic)
- Lil Indies in Mills 50 – had a HOT gin and tonic on a cold night, and it was a game changer! Who knew?!
- Ten10 Brewing Company in Mills 50 – they’re light on the beer selection right now with many more in the works. I’m excited to see what they come up with next!
- Ivanhoe Park Brewing in Mills 50 – finally went here at a time when it was not packed, and tried their Bungalow Belgian Witbier
- The Hammered Lamb in Mills 50 – skipped the train shots and instead discovered a new-to-me gose beer that I’d definitely order again if I saw it (Dogfish Head SeaQuench Ale)
- Nora’s Sugar Shack in Mills 50 – Nora celebrated 15 years with $1.50 craft beers, a donation “for the cats,” donuts and more. A fun time! Plus, Nora taught me what a “White IPA” is…how did I not know about this before?! It’s an American IPA with its high hop character and the wheat-based Belgian Wit with its refreshing and spicy presence. SweetWater Brewing Company Goin’ Coastal was the perfect example – a sweet pineapple start and a lightweight hopped finish
- Prato in Winter Park – Finally went here but only for a drink. The Certriolo cocktail was delicious. I need to go back to try their pizza and meatballs!
- Audubon Park Community Market – I went for their 10 Years of Night Markets event to support some of my favorite local restaurants and vendors, including Kadence, Hunger Street Tacos, and Gaia Granola.
- Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream in Audubon Park – It’s hard to find good homemade ice cream shops these days, but Kelly’s is absolutely amazing. I loved their Blondie flavor, and my boyfriend got their Ore-Dough and Mint Chocolate Chip.
- Luke’s Kitchen & Bar in Maitland – One word – BURGER! So good.
- Eden Bar at Enzian Theater in Maitland – Always love the laidback, tropical atmosphere here.
My new job is located in Lake Mary, an area I have yet to explore. Recommendations are always welcome!
Recent Openings in Orlando
- The Robinson Room cocktail bar, by the folks at Mather’s Social Gathering, opened in Downtown Orlando in early January. This place has my name all over it and I can’t wait to try it! Make sure you’re following me on Instagram @adventuresingourmet for my first impressions.
- A new Vietnamese restaurant opened on Church Street called Le House. So far, it seems to have really good reviews online. Did you know Orlando has one of the largest Vietnamese-American populations in Florida? Learn more on Bungalower here!
- For vegans and Sanctum Cafe fans, Proper & Wild is a new restaurant in Winter Park. I’m personally not a vegan and never will be, but I do really enjoy vegetarian/vegan food and have this spot on my wishlist.
- A new taco shop opened called MX Taco in the Milk District, because there is no such thing as too many tacos.
- A new bar to the Mills 50 district that I will have to try soon is Conrad’s Shanty, who offers casual back porch theme.
- The incredibly popular Broadway musical, Hamilton, is at Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts until February 10th! Most tickets have sold out already, but there are a few times still available.
Coming Soon To Orlando
- If you’re still looking to make Valentine’s Day plans, I loved this round up. We’re going to Kadence for the Aphrodisiac Experience. Can’t wait to see what they come up with! It’s currently sold out but you can sign up for their waitlist here.
- Bolay is coming to Winter Park! I used to get lunch from their Palm Beach Gardens location, guilt-free.
- Se7en bites Italian restaurant, Sette, is moving to the Ivanhoe area. I’m very excited for this to open in the old Stir space.
- The Yard being built in Ivanhoe Village is going to be insane (did someone say food hall?!), and I’m very excited. Don’t worry, The Hideaway Bar and Ivanhoe Park Brewing Company are there to stay.
- If you like vintage markets and supporting local makers, check out this Orlando guide with upcoming dates, or LemonHearted’s Orlando guide for specific shops/vendors.
- As much as I enjoy the pizza and beer combo, I’m happy to see that Pizza Bruno will be serving liquor soon!
- Speaking of adding alcohol, Palmer’s Garden and Goods is looking to sell wine and beer while customers peruse the plants. Sounds like a nice day to me, and something that will honestly lead to more sales.
- Milkhouse is a new cocktail bar coming soon to the Milk District in the same plaza as MX Taco (above). It will have food, a full bar, and both indoor and outdoor seating.
- I had a rabbit when I was little (miss you Honey Bunny!), so I found the news of a pop-up bunny cafe coming to the Milk District totally adorable.
- I have mixed feelings about fast food, but I am intrigued to try Taco Bell Cantina coming soon to Downtown Orlando.
- Shipping containers are all the rage these days, from Container Bar in Austin, TX to Boxpark in London (travel guide coming soon!), and now it’s coming to Lake Nona. “Boxi Park will be Central Florida’s very first outdoor food hall and first outdoor entertainment venue built with repurposed shipping containers.” – The Daily City
- For more information on restaurants and bars coming soon to the Orlando area, Orlando Weekly has great round-ups here and here.
My Orlando Wishlist
I have a pretty long list, but these are at the top!
- White Wolf Cafe
- Bem Bom
- Tartine Wine Bar & Eatery
- Robinson Room
- Better Than Sex
- M Lounge
Stay tuned for much more Orlando coverage to come!